CornHill.Org | CornHillArtsFestival.Com | Corn Hill Store

The Hayden House (1850) – South Fitzhugh Street

Hayden House S. Fitzhugh

This Italianate landmark, named for previous resident Rochester mayor Charles Hayden, was damaged by fire and had been vacant for twelve years before the Loftus Brothers—Tom, Jim and John—bought it in July of 1982. This brick mansion is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a prime example of how many Corn Hill mansions of yesteryear have been repurposed into apartments. The Loftus restoration created seven apartments that range in size from 650 to 1,200 square feet. They include five working fireplaces with original, refinished mahogany mantels. Original ceiling moldings have been restored or replaced with custom-made moldings to match.

Apartment 2, on the tour today, is 1200 square feet and an urban dweller’s dream – especially one who has an affinity for 19th century architecture. The large windows, bamboo floors and fully functioning fireplace with a marble mantel create a warm and inviting space on the first floor. The kitchen offers modern conveniences and style while maintaining the character of this historic landmark. The second floor accommodates a bedroom suite, recording studio and guest space. Beautiful hand hewn beams adorn the second floor, serving as a reminder of the painstaking labor inherent to 19th century building practices. One can easily see where the ax fell in the forming of these support beams. Finally, a spiral staircase leads to the third level cupola, with windows on all four walls offering beautiful views of the Rochester skyline as well as a perfect and private place to take in the fireworks.