CornHill.Org | CornHillArtsFestival.Com | Corn Hill Store

Troup St. ~ 1870

Troup Street 1850Two connected townhouses were constructed when land was at a premium, one of which is one today’s tour. To achieve the greatest living space from two small lots, the two properties share an interior wall and a slate mansard roof. The raised basement, at one time, likely housed the kitchens. These features augment the real and apparent height of the structure, which, at 40 feet, is taller than any of its immediate neighbors.

During its early years, this home was owned and occupied by Fred W. Dewey, a lumber dealer, then by Charles G. Arnold, a bookkeeper and, later, by Mary Rohde. Fast forward to the 1960s and 1970s, when the structure, as part of RIT’s “student ghetto,” fell prey to abuse and neglect at the hands of careless owners and tenants. There were eight apartments in this home and another eight in the adjoining townhouse.

In 1978 Norm and Eleanor Burgess bought the entire structure. They retained this side and sold the other half to Bob and Marion Sherwood. Both families took great pains to restore their homes to their former splendor.

In 1990, this home was purchased by its current owners, fortunate beneficiaries of their predecessors’ hard work. They occupy the upper floors and rent the ground floor efficiency apartment.

Greenwood St. ~ c.1860

Greenwood Street - circa 1860
This charming brick home is a prime example of homes originally built on the once private avenue of Greenwood Street for craftspeople, shopkeepers, and widows of modest means.

In 1858, widowed milliner Mrs. Ann Eliza Darragh purchased the lot upon which the house sits. Its construction exemplifies common details of homes built in that time period, including simple stone lintels and sills flanking the windows and doors.

The house remained in the Darragh family for many years. A daughter married a grocer and it is speculated that a horse-drawn grocery cart may have necessitated the construction of the carriage house.

Mrs. Helen Murray Fish moved into the home in 1940, at which time it became like a second home for many neighborhood children. Some neighborhood boys constructed walls to create a secret garden.

Later, this home became the first of several homes in the city that the Landmark Society purchased in their efforts to revitalize historic homes.

The current owner makes a concerted effort to maintain and respect the integrity of this fine historic home. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this home is a treat to behold.

Greenwood St. ~ 1850

2010 Greenwood Street 1850 - Main Image
Built in 1850, 4 Greenwood Street was originally part of a larger property of what is now 111 Troup St. In 1888, both properties were owned by James M. Backus, a local grocer and the manager of the winning team (the Live Oaks) in Rochester’s first organized baseball championship in 1858. The property was deeded to the Selden family in the early 1900s. George B. Selden, whose father was a lawyer and represented Susan B. Anthony, was himself a patent lawyer and inventor. He was granted a U.S. patent for an automobile in 1895.

This small home has had a number of owners and renovations since the mid-1950s. In the early 1990s the previous owner gutted the second floor of the home, removed the traditional staircase and installed a narrow iron spiral staircase, opening up the first floor and creating a loft area on the second floor. The current owners, who have lived here since 2007, installed new hardwood floors on the first floor, ceramic tile in the kitchen and a new tumbled stone bathroom on the second floor, giving the interior a more current motif. The partially finished basement was also remodeled and now serves as a small “man cave.” Plans are to add a wisteria trellis and more decking to the backyard in 2011.